Exercising as a family is a great way to spend quality time together while getting healthier at the same time! Getting fit as a family does not have to be time-consuming or difficult. With just a little bit of planning, family exercise can be easy and fun! Here are seven ideas for your family to get fit:
- Exercise during commercial breaks – when watching TV together, try running in place, push-ups, sit-ups, squats or jumping jacks during the commercial breaks.
- Make an Exercise Video – create your own family exercise video where your kids are the stars. Everyone will get exercise while creating the video.
- Just Dance – turn on some fun music and rock out together as a family.
- Go the Extra Step – park farther away when running errands with the kids, walk or bike to places when feasible, encourage yourself and your family to take the stairs wherever you are.
- Create Time for Family Exercise Every Day – take family walks after dinner and use that time to talk about your day. Play a family game of football or basketball.
- Blend Technology with Play – many electronic games offer the chance to move while playing like dancing, boxing, tennis or bowling.
- Family Olympics – create your own Family Olympics or obstacle course – go to your local track or town pool and have races while your family goes for the gold.
All it takes is a little initiative and creativity to build a mindset of lifetime fitness and a positive association with being healthy!